Thursday, September 29, 2011

Minimum wage soon

Minimum wage soon

This is a long awaited move which is in dire need in the country especially for those working at low level of the rung at remote areas.

I do not have any clue about how much are the salaries generally paid now.

But in 2001, the clerks working for a law firm in a small town in the east Peninsula were only paid not more than RM500.00. One who at that time had worked for more than 3 years only received RM300. When I worked while waiting for my SPM result in 1997, I met with a single woman with 8 children working in a sawmill was only paid RM8.00 per day. I wonder how could she gave her children enough food whereas a meal for lunch needs about RM3.50 for a person. I myself was paid RM300. I have also experience being paid for RM200 and RM300 respectively for one month work at different factories of 8 hours per day including Saturday respectively in 1994 and 1999. I started my career as a litigation lawyer with only RM1700 in the city center of Kuala Lumpur in 2002.

This might be outdated at present, but it seems things do not really change for the people at present.

With the prices in almost all basic as well as luxury items are on the steep rise, the passing of the law which addresses the interests of everyone is highly necessary.

No comments: